Friday, August 3, 2012

Good{will outlet} Friday #23 ~ Inspired by Alloy

This may be my favorite Outlet Center look so far!  


I love the style of shirt dresses.  They're simple and feminine and wonderful, so when I found this shirt dress - in my coral, my very favorite color right now - I was thrilled! Shirt dresses almost have that 'I'm wearing my boyfriend's button up around the house' feel, but in a sophisticated way.  They're also extremely versatile: look smart and polished for work with sexy heels and a skinny leather belt, then slip into sandals and big coral necklace for a casual dinner with friends.  And in the Fall, layer this little dress over tights and under a slouchy sweater.  I've seen dozens of shirt dress-clad mannequins in store windows, but this dress was inspired the Kaitlyn Shirt Dress at Alloy.  Everything needed to pull together this gorgeous summer get-up was found at Goodwill Outlet Center for less that five dollars!



This adorable dress is vintage: probably made in the 1960s.  I loved the color, but not the style.  As you can see, the cut was a bit boxy and kind of an awkward length.  This transformation required only basic sewing (I even did it by hand). I trimmed about six inches of fabric from the bottom and gave the dress a new hem.  If sewing isn't your cup of tea, pick up some iron-on hem tape from the craft store to do the job.   Remember not to throw the dress in the dryer because the tape will come undone when exposed to heat again.
Instead of tossing the fabric scrap in the trash, I tied it around my waist in a big French bow.  The gray purse and suede peep toe heels seemed like a good neutral match.  My black stone bracelet is actually a belt wrapped around my wrist.



All of these items were purchased from Goodwill Outlet Center, but here's who made them:

dress, The American Shirt Dress
purse, R.O.C.
shoes, Shi
bangle, no brand
belt (worn as bracelet), no brand












1 comment: