Friday, February 1, 2013

Good{will outlet} Friday #40 ~ Baby Clothes

Until my sister-in-law, Sarah, shared the exciting news that she was expecting, I had very little interest in babies.  Now that I'm about to be an auntie, I'm a little bit obsessed with teeny outfits and baby toys.


Yeah, I didn't see that coming.   She's having a little girl (Charlotte) who will arrive in April.  I began collecting bits and pieces of infant clothing from Goodwill Outlet Center a few months back.  At the time, we didn't know if Baby was going to be a boy or girl, so I kept my selections neutral.  Some people insist that baby girls must always be dressed in pink ruffles and lace, but I don't feel that way - and thankfully, neither does Sarah.
I was extremely picky about clothing I brought home from the Outlet Center for Charlotte: it had to look almost brand new with no spots, wear, or fading.  All of these items happen to be produced by Carters and are sized for a three month old.  None of the items I picked up are pink, but I was confident that they could still look girly and work together as a set.

The first piece I found was this ridiculously cute bright yellow sweater.  To match, I hid the giraffe design on a white one-sie with a cluster of gray and yellow ribbon roses.   For the gray striped skirt, I cut fabric from a shirt and sewed it to the waistband of a gray diaper cover.  The headband was made using another fabric scrap from the shirt with ribbon roses.



Almost any boy (or gender neutral) clothing could be transformed into pretty outfits for a little girl.  The pants had ruffles on the back when I found them, but you could easily add some frills to any basic bottoms.  For little sleepers, sew delicate lace around the cuffs and collar or add a few ribbon bows.

No comments:

Post a Comment