Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Tassel and Chain Necklace (DIY)

When I think of tassels, two very different - yet distinct - images come to mind.



This:
(Etsy)

and this:
(Etsy)
In the past year or so, that has all changed.  Tassel necklaces and earrings are everywhere.  Almost every store I walk into has some version of tassel jewelry for sale.  I was finally inspired to make one for myself.  Pinterest is flooded with tassel necklace DIYs, but why not add another to the mix!


Tassels weren't really my thing until I stumbled across this necklace in Nelly Magazine ( I used this outfit for Goodwill Outlet Friday).  My version has only one tassel, because I don't want to walk around looking like I raided the scrap bin at Hobby Lobby.
Not only did I want to try my hand at tassel making, but I was also curious about combining thread and chain. This particular chain was salvaged from a hanging planter, and is too big and gaudy to use on its own.

You will need:
- chain
- beads
- embroidery thread and needle
- necklace clasp and jump rings
- large metal ring (.5" to 1" in diameter)



This necklace is very eclectic.  And by eclectic, what I mean is that all kinds of random junk was used to make it.  I sifted through all my craft supplies and broken jewelry to collect red and gold beads for the middle section.   When hunting for beads, I wasn't picky at all about what they looked like or what they were made of as long as they were red & gold.

With the embroidery thread and needle, I made a 7" strand of beads with a jump ring at each end.
Before sewing the thread into your chain, cut it into two equal segments (mine are 11" each).  Tie the end of your thread to the first link of your chain and use the needle to weave the thread through each link until you reach the end.
Connect the chain sections to either side of your bead strand with the jump rings, then attach the clasp.


To make the tassel, you'll need a form that is about 3" tall.  I used the plastic tag from a set of earrings, but cardboard would also work. The ring will become part of your tassel.
Wrap the thread around the form and through the ring.  When your tassel is big enough (mine was wrapped about 20 times), slide your scissors between the wrapped thread and the bottom of your form and cut.  Right below the ring, wrap another section of thread around your tassel several times, then tie in a tight knot.
With a sharp pair of scissors, trim the uneven threads from the bottom of your tassel.
With a jump ring, add the tassel to the center of your beaded section.

1 comment:

  1. The thicker chains are usually alloys of gold with stronger metals such as silver, copper, nickel, or zinc.

    ReplyDelete